Automation is a product of human ingenuity. It is everywhere. It is for everyone. And the elderly in your home is no exception. And why not? Why should they not benefit from the plethora of products that are available at our disposal right off the shelves of stores and through online shopping?
How “Smart” Is Your Home?
Your smart home can have just a few CCTV cameras and an LED Tv or it can be loaded with a whole bunch of gizmos right from your front gate to the little pantry. Whatever enhances the comfort, convenience, efficiency, safety, and security of your house makes your home smarter.
Why Is Home Automation Important For The Elderly?
At any age, it’s the quality of life that matters. And if that can be enhanced with automation, so be it. It is wrong to doubt that something highly technological can actually help the elderly. Home automation systems are set to change the lives of senior citizens, irrespective of whether they are disabled or not.
What are the circumstances that call for automation solutions for the aged?
- Monitoring patients with chronic, degenerative conditions like Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s disease, dementia, cardiovascular diseases, etc.
- To monitor the elderly who are completely or partially bedridden due to physical incapacity.
- To assist those who are immobile, but can handle smart gadgets for basic functions such as turning off the tap water, controlling lights and fans through voice control, etc.
- For the hearing impaired and visually challenged family members.
- For elderly patients who need to be reminded to take their medication.
- For patients with mentally challenging illnesses.
How Does Home Automation Make Life Easier For Senior Citizens?
A city like Chennai is bound to have a sizable senior citizen population. Those who have recently joined the senior citizen club are likely to be active and healthy. It is the rest of the crowd that really need the benefits of home automation systems.
So, what are the devices that are set to create a positive impact for your beloved elderly family member?
Home Automation For Safety
Safety and security take precedence over other aspects. The elderly, like children, are vulnerable to falling down, wandering away, or becoming targets of anti-social elements when they are left alone at home.
To go by the words of Eleanor Everett, “For safety is not a gadget but a state of mind. ” But in stark contrast, by investing in these gadgets, you are literally buying your peace of mind. Here’s the list of contraptions that will change your home into a well-guarded fortress;
- Security cameras
- Smart locks
- Smart video doorbells
- Smart alarms
- Wearable devices
Connected to your smartphone, these automation gadgets are easy to install and provide real-time monitoring of the elderly at home.
Automation for health and medication
This is the second-most important facet for elderly patients with chronic and incurable diseases that restrict their mobility, impair cognitive functions and bring about an overall physical limitation.
It can be an everyday challenge for the aged to remember to take their medication, or to monitor vital parameters like blood glucose levels or blood pressure.
The following devices are actually blessings in disguise if you are handling an aged person with medical conditions:
- Medicine dispensing devices that give reminders through smart speakers
- Automated reminder systems that promptly give reminders regarding medicines, important tasks, and medical appointments.
- Wireless glucometers
- Wireless blood pressure sensors
- Hi-fi medical alert systems
- Wearable wellness tracking devices
- Cushions and mattresses with sensors
- EKG monitors for heart patients.
Automated appliances for the elderly
It has to be kept in mind that not all elderly people are sick and frail. Many of them are highly health-conscious and self-dependent. It is good to note that there are senior citizens who take pride in maintaining their physical and mental health by keeping themselves on their toes.
However, there are a plethora of home automation systems that can enhance their independent lifestyle.
- Smart kitchen gadgets like smart ovens, electric stovetops that can send signals if they are left switched on.
- Motion-sensing or voice-controlled lights and fans.
- Automatic water tank regulators.
- Water detection sensors
- Smoke detectors
- Voice-controlled alarms
- Sensor-fitted faucets.
- Smart TV and other entertainment devices.
Make life easy with home automation
Innovation with home automation is set to be an ever-evolving process. Including the elderly beloved under the protective cladding of home, automation is necessary because there are so many factors involved. Firstly, it eases out so many challenges that can, in course of time, out a major strain on personal relationships. Secondly, it instils a sense of self-esteem and self-dependency in the aged. It makes their daily routine easy to deal with. And thirdly, it eliminates the need to depend on outsiders to monitor them.
Two out of five homes in Chennai have elderly family members. The city has a huge number of elderly couples living alone. It is time to be smart and bring in home automation. Delfin Automation Systems is a top-notch company that provides the entire range of home automation systems in Chennai that the automation world can offer. Delfin’s highly knowledgeable professional team will help and guide you to choose the best automation for the elderly in your home- with the budget that fits your purse!
It’s time to get safe with Delfin Automation Systems!!